Social Entrepreneurial-Mentoring Proposal to the Bridgeport Correctional Center / #TeamUSA




March 3, 2017

Coach Bill
Social Entrepreneur & Special Educator
Life Skills Corp.
CoachBill.US


Chaplain of
Bridgeport Correctional Center, Bridgeport, Ct.

Re: Social Entrepreneurial-Mentoring Proposal to the Bridgeport Correctional Center


Dear Chaplain,

I hope this letter finds you well. I am writing to propose a two-step program for the inmates at your correctional center. My goal is multi-pronged and involves lowering recidivism rates of male citizens through bringing awareness and vision of how inmates can go about self-empowering their position in the community. My program would have two phases and would require the establishment and deepening of relationships between the inmates so that I can best understand them on an individual level, step into their shoes, and together, plot out a way forward for them.

‘Real-world’ life skills that are often not recognized, such as grit, honesty, humility and leadership can be identified and reinforced in each student inmate. Teaching the benefit of social entrepreneurship, or enterprising as self-employed workers who work in such way that the fruit or efforts of their labors not only help them but the community as well would be a front and center component of the mission I put forth.

 My project as a servant to the community of Bridgeport, the state of Connecticut, and in a small way, the country itself, would step forward from forming rapport to signaling out in which ways each inmate can be a servant to their community, be it as socially-conscious enterprising members of their respective communities, or as employed workers who make the time to give back to the neighborhoods they live in.

In terms of social enterprise, be it as individuals or as members of a larger team, discussion and planning of concrete and practical pathways each student-inmate can follow would be broached. Having a vision that is deemed practical, in line with their skills and desires and ultimately ‘doable’ brings hope that life can improve for each of them and this deters the mind and heart from returning to its old habits. Moreover, in collaboration with either the correctional center or authorities in the community that may oversee to some degree the post-prison life of each inmate, I propose a second phase of support to these citizens by continuing to be a mentoring, supportive presence in their life beyond their time in jail. That said, my volunteer work would be exclusive to working within the correctional center, and given my own need to care for my family and self, some form of modest financial compensation could recompense my time and energy towards this endeavor once outside the correctional center. My goal here is not to exact monies from the state or city, but to empower and directly address the return rate of men back into the prison system.

I am not interested in financially profiting off the ’system,’ but in being a real help to my community. As a Special Educator and Executive Function Skills Coach with almost 14 years of educational experience I find that I am successful in reaching some of the toughest mindsets through my approach and investment in each of my students. It is my hope that a brief face to face meeting can be had to discuss questions, ideas and concerns the correctional center may have. 

Chaplain, I do look forward to taking this further and starting a conversation with you. I have already submitted a volunteer application. I truly want to be a source of support and empowerment where it is needed the most and I firmly believe I have what it takes to work with the ‘down and out’ and am open to working in collaboration with you and/ or your team.

I am sending you my resume to help give you additional professional background information on myself. I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,



Coach Bill

Comments